What a relief! A reasonable stack–a six pack, in fact.
- Deathmatch #2 (BOOM!): #1 was a real surprise. Sure, Paul Jenkins’ name alone promises quality, but the premise seemed a bit, I don’t know, frivolous, especially with the whole Hunger Games thing already being played up–hopelessly–in Avengers Arena. I tried AA for three issues: speaking of frivolous! I have a sneaky suspicion that Deathmatch will prove its worth with #2–even with the bump in price. As Jenkins himself Tweeted to us: “I have been writing forward and by now, I’m getting the hang of the characters.” And with that promise, we’re going to hang with him.
- Justice League Dark #16 (DC): All of a sudden, it’s our only source of Frankenstein! I guess it’ll have to do.
- Mara #2 (Image): Faith in Brian Wood here. In #1, he offered a pretty spiky protagonist and served up a killer cliffhanger. I’m down for #2.
- Nowhere Men #3 (Image): Going somewhere, and I’m along for the ride.
- Avengers #4 (Marvel): Whoa. Wait. I hated how #3 ended. (Seriously: if you’ve read it, you know exactly what I mean: it was all sorts of ludicrous!) How the hell did this make the cut? Oh, yeah! Opena’s art. Whoa. Wait. He’s already off the book? Next up: Adam Kubert. Yeah, I might just leave this on the counter.
- Superior Spider-Man #2 (Marvel): If you read our review of #1, you’re probably wondering why I’d bother with #2. Hey, I’m totally with you: I’m still trying to work it out myself.
Let me know if there’s anything I can pick up in place of Avengers and/or Superior Spider-Man. Without them, I’ll have something left on a twenty–and I can never leave a shop with change enough for a book or two. So, it’s with them or with something else. Please save me!
What are you looking forward to on Wednesday?